Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vacation home with a 220v outlet outside, and I’d like to hook a Level 2 charger up to it. But we’re only here maybe 10 weekends a year, and it’s in an area with somewhat extreme weather (northern WI) so I’d like to remove the charger when not in use. I know this isn’t ideal, but is there a charger that’s suited for this, something I can put on a removable mount and then only put outside when I’m here and just plug it into the 220? Or are all Level 2 chargers equally suited/not suited to this and I can just pick whatever?

pic of my Jeep charging (level 1) at the vacation home for fun:

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here’s my exterior 220

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I’ll check that out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heya!
I created my profile just to answer your question as I did a lot of leg work when looking for an outdoor charger. Check out Home products – GRIZZL-E. These are level 2 chargers made in Canada with cold weather outdoor use in mind. To address your removability concern there is a permanent mount that the unit attaches to with a locking pin.

I just went back to look at the Grizzl-e site and found this new portable version too Grizzl-E Mini – GRIZZL-E. I'm picking one up after this post!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FYI they are out of stock with the Mini and the person I talked to said they should be available closer to winter.

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So next dumb question…the 220 I have has a 30a breaker on it; can I just swap in and use a 40a breaker and use a 32a charger?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So next dumb question…the 220 I have has a 30a breaker on it; can I just swap in and use a 40a breaker and use a 32a charger?
That I don't know and aren't qualified to answer. I hired an electrician to put in the 220 and hook up the 50amp breaker to use maximum output. But from the website "Grizzl-E provides up to 10 KW of power to your vehicle and can be adjusted for 40 Amps, 32 Amps, 24 Amps, or 16 Amps maximum current output." via internal dip switches. Give them a holler and talk to tech perhaps? Toll Free: 1-833-971-8118 I had called five minutes ago to ask about the Mini with no waiting etc..

·
Registered
10 Posts
NO. 220V means nothing. You need to have the correct gauge wire from the panel to your outlet. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of a fire. And it's not a low risk.

Just for fun, the dryer outlet in North America is usually run with a 10 gauge wire which can handle 80% of 30Amps at 100 feet, hence max is 24Amps on a 30Amps circuit with a 30Amps breaker.

Similarly, the normal stove (non induction) is a 40Amps circuit, 32Amps max draw and 8 gauge wire.

If you run a new circuit, I recommend 6 gauge up to a max of 100 feet. If you wanna use an existing 220 outlet make sure you don't exceed the max draw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, BTW on a 30A dedicated circuit (assuming it was wired correctly and by dedicated I meant it is not shared with a dryer or something else), the max I would put is 24Amps but I would sleep better with 16Amps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
NO. 220V means nothing. You need to have the correct gauge wire from the panel to your outlet. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of a fire. And it's not a low risk.

Just for fun, the dryer outlet in North America is usually run with a 10 gauge wire which can handle 80% of 30Amps at 100 feet, hence max is 24Amps on a 30Amps circuit with a 30Amps breaker.

Similarly, the normal stove (non induction) is a 40Amps circuit, 32Amps max draw and 8 gauge wire.

If you run a new circuit, I recommend 6 gauge up to a max of 100 feet. If you wanna use an existing 220 outlet make sure you don't exceed the max draw.
Yes to George! The electrician did put in some massive wire and a dedicated 220v to an unshared 50 amp breaker directly under our service box.

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, BTW on a 30A dedicated circuit (assuming it was wired correctly and by dedicated I meant it is not shared with a dryer or something else), the max I would put is 24Amps but I would sleep better with 16Amps.
It is completely dedicated and not shared. I’ll verify the wire gauge but I think it’s sized only for 30a.

it was actually initially supposed to be an outlet to backfeed the house with a generator. Using it as an EV charge point is a new use for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The chargepoint home flex is removable and can easily be temporary with the benefit of setting the amp in the charger to what you have the capability of. Can be 30, can be 50 depending on what your service is capable of. I highly recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts