Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is a temperature sensor on the factory charger's plug?

I was parked outside and using a different outlet last night. I got a charging warning that the charger was in slow charge because of the supply side heating up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmm, I know the Tesla EVSEs have that, I'm not sure about the Jeep one. The fact that you have an error sure makes it look like they do, or maybe it's talking about internal temp inside the EVSE.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
64 Posts

Font Rectangle World Parallel Electric blue

·
Registered
183 Posts
Anyone know if there is a temperature sensor on the factory charger's plug?

I was parked outside and using a different outlet last night. I got a charging warning that the charger was in slow charge because of the supply side heating up.
Yes. There usually is a sensor on the plug side. The early Ford Level 1 EVSEs were catching fire and burning things down. Apparently the plug can get hot if the receptacle is worn or loose or an extension cord is used. There was a recall and later EVSEs have a thermal sensor that limits the charge rate to avoid catching fire.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what it was doing. A yellow flashing light on the brick indicates an overheating condition. The charging either shuts off or drops the current.

With lower current the charging time doubled when the thermal sensor is triggered. The Jeep seemed unaware of the issue, it just knows it's charging slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts