Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my 4xe back from service, can anyone tell me where to find the total number of ICE miles on my vehicle. It has to be simple and I must be overlooking something obvious, but I just can't figure it out or can only the dealer see how many miles are on the engine?
Is using one of the Trip calculators the only way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now that I have my 4xe back from service, can anyone tell me where to find the total number of ICE miles on my vehicle. It has to be simple and I must be overlooking something obvious, but I just can't figure it out or can only the dealer see how many miles are on the engine?
Is using one of the Trip calculators the only way?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like it should be in the e pages somewhere, but as far as I can find we cannot see ICE miles only. As far as vehicle maintenance goes, that should be a very important piece of info. Who wants to change spark plugs with only maybe 8k miles on them because the odometer shows 30k? Most items like filters and belts can be visually inspected, but spark plugs, timing belt eventually, and even oil changes are harder to judge without the mileage component as a guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The uConnect app also lists Total Miles, Electric Miles, and Hybrid Miles in the Trip information section. I've only had the Jeep for a few days but have stayed in Electric Mode, so in my case "Hybrid Miles" will roughly mean ICE miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless you are seeing something in the app that I am not, that is just the same info from your trip odometer, which is correct, but as soon as it gets reset, the totals are gone. We had attempted to keep one as a running tally, but it got accidentally reset, so now the lifetime info is gone. I’m sure it’s locked away in the PCM where a dealer can find it, but so far, not for the owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok, good to know. I only have 77 total miles on the A and B trips. 78 miles on the odometer.
Since you haven’t reset yet, you could keep say, trip B running as a lifetime odometer to show the info, which is what my wife and I tried, but one of us accidentally reset the wrong one, so it didn’t work out the way we intended. Enjoy your new jeep, we love ours so far. Have had it since May, and coming up on 4000 miles.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
JScan looks like it has 3 hybrid related modules in it now. No idea if it displays that info since they don't work in demo mode.

At a minimum, the jeep must track ice run time as it's part of the OLM's calculations.

I'd need to put my security gateway bypass cable in but it's way too hot outside

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update on my original quest for total ICE miles. I sort of found part of the info looking at the Body Controller using JSCAN.

After having an excessive amount of gasoline in the engine oil my service center changed the oil and filter at 8,000 miles on the odometer. I asked if they could tell me how many of those 8,000 miles were on the engine (guessing 4,500) and they said there is no way to find that information. Hmmm?
After getting the 4xe back I found the body controller does track ICE miles, engine rotations and hours since the last oil life monitor reset.
I'm at 9,600 miles now. JSCAN is telling me I have gone 704 miles with the ICE operating since the OLM reset.

I would suggest snagging the info before your first oil change and log it with your maintenance records. Wish I could have know for sure.🤷‍♂️

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Equipment and software list:
OBDii Bluetooth Adapter:
Cheaper adapter ($12.99) - Veepeak ELM327 bluetooth adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011NSX27A

or

More expensive adapter ($99.99) - OBDLink MX+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6

JSCAN App and 1 License ($23.99) - www.jscan.net

Optional equipment:
Secure Gateway Module Bypass Cable ($21.98) - necessary to make changes to the vehicle such as tire size, TPMS pressure or gears

Connect chosen OBDii interface to the OBDii port, turn on ignition and pair interface to phone in bluetooth settings (only need to do this one time).
1) Open JSCAN App and select Wrangler JL 4xe.
2) Scroll down to bluetooth adapters and select adapter previously paired in the above step (likely listed simply as OBDLink MX+ "serial number").
3) Once connected, vehicle info and options will be displayed.
4) Select "Modules" tab
5) Select "Body Controller"
6) Tap "..."
7) Enter "oil" in the search field
8) Check each box that you want information about or check all using the orange button at the bottom
9) Select "OK"
10) Select "PLAY" button
11) Collect data

Car Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle
Product Font Screenshot Circle Parallel
Font Screenshot Slope Number Automotive tire

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since you haven’t reset yet, you could keep say, trip B running as a lifetime odometer to show the info, which is what my wife and I tried, but one of us accidentally reset the wrong one, so it didn’t work out the way we intended. Enjoy your new jeep, we love ours so far. Have had it since May, and coming up on 4000 miles.
Can you tell me what impact charging your jeep has had on your electric bill? I have 3k miles on mine and charge it nightly. Just got my first electric bill and it went up almost $200 dollars and the only household change is charging the Jeep. I am curious to know if this is normal or is there a problem. I had it in my head it would increase my bill by maybe 60 bucks so this was a shock to see.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Can you tell me what impact charging your jeep has had on your electric bill? I have 3k miles on mine and charge it nightly. Just got my first electric bill and it went up almost $200 dollars and the only household change is charging the Jeep. I am curious to know if this is normal or is there a problem. I had it in my head it would increase my bill by maybe 60 bucks so this was a shock to see.
It depends on what your utility rate is. For a full charge the 4xe takes 14kWh or slightly more. My rate is $0.12 per kWh. So it costs me about $1.68.

I'm level 2 charging now so I can get a few full ones in per day. My bill has gone up roughly $80 to $100.

If we consider a full battery is supposed to be about 1/2 gallon of energy in equivalency, it seems to be a wash. However, I feel like I get greater distance from a full battery than I would 1/2 gallon of gas.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@michail
Perhaps 🤷‍♂️
But for getting the total ICE miles since the last OLM reset it was not necessary. These screenshots were achieved with just the cheap ELM327 and a JSCAN license. Lots of great info for a $37 total investment.😁

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
91 Posts
As @michail has stated, it depends on your electric rates. Sounds like you are getting plenty of electric miles with your 4xe, congrats! My monthly billing on the first month of charging use reflects pretty close to what the level 2 device has recorded.

I was hoping for a single source application to keep up with all the data but am not aware of such a thing. It is on us (the 4xe owners) to gather and use the data as we wish. The level 2 installed here has a website that connects to a smart phone via wifi and holds that data for viewing. See the attached image below. The smart phone app is used to connect with the level 2 device for gathering data. The level 2 device acts as a stand alone and works very well (Wallbox Pulsar Plus) but does hold the data for later connecting to the app.

In summary. You can use your electric suppliers monthly statement, charging information from your device (if it has monitoring abilities), the 4xe dash info, and the OBD Jscan info as shown in @4xeRubicon posts 9 and 11.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

·
Registered
109 Posts
If we consider a full battery is supposed to be about 1/2 gallon of energy in equivalency, it seems to be a wash. However, I feel like I get greater distance from a full battery than I would 1/2 gallon of gas.
I have to wonder who determined that ratio...
We regularly get 24-26 all electric miles on a full charge. (Of course driving conditions, terrain, climate, etc. are different for everyone) There is no way we get anywhere near double that mileage on a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
91 Posts
Just received an obd II bluetooth adapter. Using a purchased license from Jscan and following the nicely listed instructions from @4xeRubicon, I get minimal results. It could be due to not having an oil/fuel refresh episode. Anyway, there is a listing for miles. In the rpm and hours window, it is blank.

Wondering if there is a different category that would have the info beside the "since last oil life reset".

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@PDN Sahara 29P
Not an expert, but definetly a curious admirer of the software.
A few questions:
How many miles are on your 4xe?
What did it display for miles since last reset?
Have you had your oil changed yet?
What's the percentage left on your oil life monitor?
What OBDii interface did you purchase?
Android or Apple?

I have never received a FORM notice. I did receive a MIL and DTC for engine oil deterioration which prompted the oil and filter to be changed as a result of fuel delusion at 8,000 odometer miles.
I did not discover the ICE "miles since last OLM reset" until a few days after my oil was changed and OLM was reset.
I have been unsuccessful in finding total engine miles any any other module. I would think it has to be somewhere and will continue searching. The service center says it's not possible (for them) to get this information.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.