Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Just got our new Sahara 4XE delivered tonight, woot! Will have a long (probably too long ...) post tomorrow with details and good photos :)

One item has me a touch baffled but in a [potentially] good way. We have a Reese hitch carrier we used with our DD/RT, and an old ball/mount from a previous T4R.

Here's the thing: they're 2", because they were both for a Class IV spec hitch on both of those vehicles. I was a little bummed I'd have to get an adapter for the carrier (or a new one) because a Class II hitch is spec'ed at 1-1/4", in fact, here's the Tow Package from our window sticker:

Here's the question: our hitch is 2", is this a 2" Class II? Is it a Class III/IV hitch assembly though the vehicle itself only allows Class II weight (3500 / 350 tongue weight).

I could tell as soon as I looked at it, a 1-1/4 looks small,I could tell this was 2", ball mount we already had fits perfectly, even measured it for some photo-graphical evidence :D

Oh, here's a reference for hitch Classes:

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
158 Posts
That’s strange... I was under the assumption it would be 1-1/4” as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Howdy!

Just got our new Sahara 4XE delivered tonight, woot! Will have a long (probably too long ...) post tomorrow with details and good photos :)

One item has me a touch baffled but in a [potentially] good way. We have a Reese hitch carrier we used with our DD/RT, and an old ball/mount from a previous T4R.

Here's the thing: they're 2", because they were both for a Class IV spec hitch on both of those vehicles. I was a little bummed I'd have to get an adapter for the carrier (or a new one) because a Class II hitch is spec'ed at 1-1/4", in fact, here's the Tow Package from our window sticker:

View attachment 223

Here's the question: our hitch is 2", is this a 2" Class II? Is it a Class III/IV hitch assembly though the vehicle itself only allows Class II weight (3500 / 350 tongue weight).

I could tell as soon as I looked at it, a 1-1/4 looks small,I could tell this was 2", ball mount we already had fits perfectly, even measured it for some photo-graphical evidence :D

View attachment 224

Howdy!

View attachment 223

View attachment 224

The Hitch Receiver in the Jeep is a 2” receiver Class 2, with a MTW, maximum towing weight of 3500#, and a maximum TW, tongue weight of 350#, thus the class 2 classification. Yes, normally Class 2 hitches are 1 1/4” receivers.
‘The receiver will accept all 2” accessories. Much more versatile. It is up to you to manage the maximum tongue weight and the maximum towing weight You put on the hitch. For example, I would not rent a 12’ large UHaul trailer, load it full and expect the Jeep to pull it, without problems.
I have not gotten my new Jeep, yet, but from prior Jeep’s I believe that receiver is bolted on and not welded on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Hitch Receiver in the Jeep is a 2” receiver Class 2, with a MTW, maximum towing weight of 3500#, and a maximum TW, tongue weight of 350#, thus the class 2 classification. Yes, normally Class 2 hitches are 1 1/4” receivers.
Great, yeah, that was what I was speculating about, Class II, but just the improved flexibility of a 2". We don't have big towing needs, hitch carriers, small open utility trailers (like for mulch), we are [kind of] shopping boats again, but looking at something like a 16' Tahoe T16, ~2200 lbs for the full rig and our boat ramp is 4 blocks away :)

Is that documented anywhere? Seems like a pretty good perk, and surprised there's no mention of it in any of my docs, online marketing material, etc.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts