Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used theirs to tow trailers or toys? Have a 7x14 trailer we use to tow our KRX 1000 and two dirt bikes. Just wondered how it does. TIA!!

Adam

·
Registered
381 Posts
well done W4XEF !
i'm looking forward to tow a travel trailer r-pod rp190. first a have to sell our bounder

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pulled a 5x10 heavy duty utility trailer loaded with 12 sheets or 3/4” hickory plywood and it was like it wasn’t even there.

And the regen braking really helps when towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone used theirs to tow trailers or toys? Have a 7x14 trailer we use to tow our KRX 1000 and two dirt bikes. Just wondered how it does. TIA!!

Adam
I have towed my TAB 320 twice about 200 miles each time. I don't know actual MPG but it was about 10 to12 MPG once with a full charge and once with about 50% charged. The battery was drained before I got to the mountains. I think next time I will try E-save until I get to the mountains, but I don't think this will improve the MPG much. The trailer weighs about 2000lbs. I did turn off the A/C on the big hills and it wasn't too hot out. My 4Xe pulled the trailer great I didn't feel uneasy going up and down hills, it stops great and the trailer tracks behind the Jeep great. I do not have or feel I need trailer breaks, but I don't think I would want a trailer any bigger.

I traded my 2018 Sahara with a 2.0 for the 4Xe. I had a 3inch lift with 35inch tires, so I think the weight was similar between the 2 jeeps. I got 12 to 16 MPG going to the same place depending on the outside temp and traffic. I would take the lower MPG for pulling and having the 4Xe Rubicon over a Sahara any day.

I also drove without a trailer 700 miles at highways speeds for a trip to San Deigo. My MPG going there was 16MPG on the way back it was about 21MPG. Had a horrible headwind going to SD and the wind pushed me home. With my Sahara I would say the MPG might have been slightly better, but not much.

I'm using the 4Xe for commuting 20 miles round trip each day, using mostly electric even at highway speeds. So pulling the trailer is important, but the commute and off roading quitely is what I bought it for.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was able to take a meaningful trip with trailer in tow. Drove from Phoenix to Flagstaff area which is about 5000 ft elevation change or so. Some major grades involved where tractor trailers can barely muster 35-45 mph. The Jeep had plenty of power but it got pretty hot. I saw as much as 239 degrees of coolant temp. Normal was 205-215 range going uphill but the really steep grades required more then 50% power and the temps would climb pretty fast. I found if you keep the power meter at a steady 50% while pulling the steep grades then the cooing system would stabilize so that is what I did and it was fine.

Fuel economy was 13.3 mph when calculated up and back. 12.1 mpg going up which still was pretty good IMO. Trailer weighs 1600 lb dry, maybe 2500-2700 loaded up? Not sure. Need to weigh it soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was able to take a meaningful trip with trailer in tow. Drove from Phoenix to Flagstaff area which is about 5000 ft elevation change or so. Some major grades involved where tractor trailers can barely muster 35-45 mph. The Jeep had plenty of power but it got pretty hot. I saw as much as 239 degrees of coolant temp. Normal was 205-215 range going uphill but the really steep grades required more then 50% power and the temps would climb pretty fast. I found if you keep the power meter at a steady 50% while pulling the steep grades then the cooing system would stabilize so that is what I did and it was fine.

Fuel economy was 13.3 mph when calculated up and back. 12.1 mpg going up which still was pretty good IMO. Trailer weighs 1600 lb dry, maybe 2500-2700 loaded up? Not sure. Need to weigh it soon.
I was wondering how it would do with 3000#+ and up/dn the mths. Did you leave it in 6th gear and let the vehicle shift, or take more active control of the tranny?

When I tow with my Nissan Titan, I fly but keep on top of the auto tranny in the mtns, but that was with ~2500# out of a 7400# tow rating.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was wondering how it would do with 3000#+ and up/dn the mths. Did you leave it in 6th gear and let the vehicle shift, or take more active control of the tranny?

When I tow with my Nissan Titan, I fly but keep on top of the auto tranny in the mtns, but that was with ~2500# out of a 7400# tow rating.
I left it in D and used the Max Regen button to control downhill speeds. Sometimes I would use the brake pedal to manually apply regen depending on the situation. At times, I found it easier to use the brake pedal vs the Max Regen button so I went back and forth a bit.

When we were off road I did try the crawl control feature but it didn't seem any different to me. I probably didn't enable it correctly. I will have to read the manual or look at YouTube to figure it out. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just got my 4xe and also bought a small camper. This is my first camper, btw. I'm getting everything together and looking at the towing capacity of the Jeep and the weight of the camper. The camper has a dry weight of 3450 and GAWR of 4400. Is this going to kill my Jeep? Or is it even possible to tow it? I picked up the camper and drove it home and that was about 150 miles. Only issue I had was sway. I want to tow it from Nebraska to Colorado in the mountains (636 miles). Can I still do it or am I crazy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts