Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post in this forum.

My wife's 4xe has been leaving little puddles wherever it stops or is parked. Since we live on a dirt road, it's been hard to tell what these puddles/droplets were. Yesterday in town coming out of the supermarket, I noticed the shiny puddle and remembered to check. I had her back out of the space, and I did a touch/sniff test. Was light amber and oily and had that funky smell, not like engine oil, so I'm thinking it's the transfer case leaking gear oil. Less than 4 months old and only 2500 miles. Other than this the only issue we've had with the 4xe was the intermittent back-up camera guide lines, but that seems to have been fixed with the OTA software update a week or so ago.

Anyone else have this leak? Going to take it to the local dealer tomorrow.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
511 Posts
Get under there and look. You should be able to see where it’s coming from.

·
Registered
54 Posts

...I did a touch/sniff test. Was light amber and oily and had that funky smell, not like engine oil, so I'm thinking it's the transfer case leaking gear oil......

Cheers!
The transfer case uses ATF4 which is bright red. I've spilled old ATF4 fluid during maintenance on our other Jeeps but it was never amber in color. Note the exact location under the Jeep where the drops occur to help the dealer tech.

·
Registered
179 Posts

My wife's 4xe has been leaving little puddles wherever it stops or is parked. Since we live on a dirt road, it's been hard to tell what these puddles/droplets were. Yesterday in town coming out of the supermarket, I noticed the shiny puddle and remembered to check. I had her back out of the space, and I did a touch/sniff test. Was light amber and oily and had that funky smell, not like engine oil, so I'm thinking it's the transfer case leaking gear oil. Less than 4 months old and only 2500 miles. Other than this the only issue we've had with the 4xe was the intermittent back-up camera guide lines, but that seems to have been fixed with the OTA software update a week or so ago.

Anyone else have this leak? Going to take it to the local dealer tomorrow.

Cheers!
How did your appointment go, Bob1970? Are repairs being made? If so and you need extra support, we are in private message!

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 4 of 4 Posts