Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Trouble with our new 4XE

37K views 114 replies 41 participants last post by  mm22 
#1 ·
We have owned our new 2021 4XE for 13 days as of today, 12 days if you count when we took our Jeep to the dealership. Driving down the interstate, Jeep goes dead, flashing lights on the dash, check engine light comes on and the tires locked up ( much more but this is the summarized version). The dealership cannot figure out how to fix the problem. They said they contacted Chrysler and Chrysler has not contacted them back. Has anyone had these issues? Please let us know how this was resolved for you, if it was. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

#4 ·
Were the messages related to charging or electronic stability control? Those seem to be the two big ones people get early on. The electronic stability hits beyond the 4xe also.

Once the dealer service department fixes it after 2 to 4 weeks in the shop, it will fail on your drive back home or by the next morning.

The engine light is just incidental to the charging issue or ESC.

#5 ·
We have owned our new 2021 4XE for 13 days as of today, 12 days if you count when we took our Jeep to the dealership. Driving down the interstate, Jeep goes dead, flashing lights on the dash, check engine light comes on and the tires locked up ( much more but this is the summarized version). The dealership cannot figure out how to fix the problem. They said they contacted Chrysler and Chrysler has not contacted them back. Has anyone had these issues? Please let us know how this was resolved for you, if it was. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Hi, Johnny. We see you sent us a private message, we will continue working with you there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#6 ·

Thank you
Yes I had the same issue after 16 days of ownership. They had my car two weeks and concluded there was an intake hose not secured causing a vaccuum leak. Got it back yesterday so I hoping the issue was resolved.

#95 ·
I know this is an old post, but just had this happen to my wife and wanted to write about our experience to hopefully help someone else out.

Red turtle light and service electronic stability control popped on, with a multitude of other lights. Wife shut it down on side of highway for a few minutes, started back up, and was able to make it home, but the lights came back on in the driveway. Let it sit, turned back on, and only check engine light was on.

Took to dealer today and after some back and forth with them, they looked at it right away. Turns out it was this issue for us with the intake hose not being secured. Caused the gas engine to overheat as my wife was driving a longer distance and battery ran out. Service advisor said they took the cover off the engine and could hear it right away. They attached it, CEL was cleared, drove home with no issues.

Still not 100% confident in this vehicle especially for longer trips, but going to test it out on e-save mode for a while to see if gas engine overheats again.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future diagnose this issue!

#8 ·

Thank you
I just read a post on here about someone with this sort of problem and his ended up being a bent pin in the wiring harness for one of the doors... it triggered a safety feature and forced the transmission into park. Might be worth having a look.

#20 ·

Thank you
My daughter has had her 2021 4xe for about 2 months. Unable to start it today. Had to be towed to dealership. They contacted the engineers at Chrysler…still trying to figure out what the problem is. They will contact us in a couple days with hopefully some answers. I’ll post more later!

#34 ·

Thank you
We are having same issues. Our Jeep now has 5000 miles and has been back to the dealer about 5-6 times for same issue. They blame it on our home charger which is a ChargePoint Level 2 charger. I know better....this is not the issue. We also have a clicking popping type noise from left front wheel which sounds like a loose axle. It's worse on slow turns. They say this is also normal. I explained the clicking we ae hearing is NOT a relay type click, but refuse to consider its anything other than normal. I do not recommend this Jeep to anyone looking. I think we will need to take legal action under the lemon law.

#40 ·
Sorry for my delay here, onety1. If your Jeep is still with the dealer and you'd like an extra layer of assistance, send us a PM. We'd be happy to dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#35 ·
After 2 1/2 months I was able to pick up my 4xe. They replaced the PCM, and said it was good to go. After driving it for 4 days the same problem happened. Shut down on the highway at around 70mph, turtle light, CEL, and a few others popped up. Felt a slight jerk in the vehicle when they all came on, and nearly caused an accident between a few vehicles swerving out of the way. I don't think I want to get back in another 4xe into this problem is truly fixed. It's really not safe, very happy that my 2 year old was not in it at the time. Filing my report with the NHTSA, something needs to get figured out before someone is injured.

#37 ·

Thank you
Mine did the similar thing (but I could still drive it and it did not seize up)!!! I did a software update (while charging), and on the slow charger it would not go above 18%. I tried a fast charger and it would fault out. I had a Juice Box installed and it would trip my breaker. 2 times in the shop after the check engine light came on and the service hybrid system light came on, they found the unit that controls the hybrid system was fried. 7 weeks later, I am finally getting my Jeep back!! 2.5 months with 1200 miles and I have made 2 payments. SUCKS!! DON'T DO SOFTWARE UPDATES right away, wait a few months.

#41 ·
My sons 4Xe has check engine light, service hybrid system message and would not go into drive. Its been at dealer for about 3 weeks. We had the Jeep for about a month and 700 miles. They first said the wire assembly behind headlights was the culprit, they changed that out and still same issue. I opened a case with Jeep Cares and everytime they tell me they will contact me on a certain day, no call. I have to call them, leave a vmail for my case manager and wait a few days before she calls. The dealer gives me zero updates. Things don't look promising. I know anything man made can have issues but the lack of communication from dealer and Jeep cares is awful.

#51 ·
Have you gotten anywhere since then? My experience with JeepCares (and frankly every single person involved with Stellantis in any way) is the exact same. Never deliver on promised day, zero updates from dealer, everyone is reading off a script (seemingly intentionally never answering a live phone call). Been without mine for 2 months (also have 600-700 miles).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.