Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Tuffy Security decks for the JK cargo area and they worked perfectly for my needs so I'd like one for the 4xe. Looking at the JLU vs JLU 4xe cargo area, it LOOKS like the Tuffy Security Enclosure might be able to fit based on pics of it installed in the JLU. From what I read, some sites state it doesn't but I'd come across comments online that it could be made to fit. Has anyone tried it in their 4xe (maybe one from their old JLU)?

I don't want the Diabolical Slipstream with the hinged setup although it's a decent alternative for now if the Tuffy unit cannot be made to work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No idea but with the seats down the cargo room is limited unlike my jku was. I want something that fits in the back and levels it out. I’m not sure with the subwoofer in the back tho.
If anyone has links to such a setup, post them!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Dr_Rumor
I just installed the EZ-Trunk and love it.
Thanks for that! It looks good but the cubic-footage is a bit tight. I know from the JK Wranglers (4-door or 2-door without seat) that I have a couple special containers that fit perfectly under the Tuffy Security deck; I'd like to keep that capability. Looks more and more like I'll have to look harder at the Diabolical Slipstream.

·
Registered
60 Posts
@Dr_Rumor
I just installed the EZ-Trunk and love it.
This looks awesome. Checking out their website, it appears to leave a gap between the back of the rear seats and the ez-trunk cover. How much of a gap does it leave and does that make it accessible for prying hands?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE
After perusing available options, I just ordered the Diabolical Slipstream (4xe version is in stock). A big part of that decision was actually talking to Alan...on a Saturday...when inquiring about shipping time frames. My concern about rigidity with the folding top sections is easily fixed, and then I also realized I won't need to add a tonneau cover later on; win-win.

Tuffy had no clue when they might consider making a 4xe Cargo Security deck when I inquired. Smittybilt has an OK looking security drawer, which I kind of liked and I can buy it locally, but it's too deep to fit the 4xe.

Waiting on delivery of the Slipstream and will document the install and do a 4xe review in the near future.

·
Registered
114 Posts
@dallascajun
Sorry, I could have sworn I left a reply on this here two weeks ago...?🤷‍♂️
It's SOLID! No gaps, no prying finger concerns. I feel confident leaving valuables in the back now with no doors or top on overnight. I absolutely love the fact that it folds flat (almost) when I need the entire compartment. Working with the engineers on a 4xe specific mounting plate to allow it to slide back so it lays perfectly flat when folded. If I need it out, I just remove the two floor bolts. Initial install is <5m. Folding it flat is <5 seconds!
The first pic is with the trunk still installed in the Jeep and two 29er MTBs loaded in the back. It's a bit over 16" deep and has a stowed strap built in to hold down the soft top when needed.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Carbon Automotive design Grille Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Vehicle Bumper
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The EZ-Trunk is neat, but I need a LOT more storage volume than what it offers. I just got the Slipstream (FedEx is slower than the pony express) delivered and will be installing Sat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got around to completing the Diabolical Slipstream install on my 4xe Rubi. My long winded assessment:

First of all, Alan from Diabolical was terrific to deal with handling questions over the phone on a Saturday; that was unexpected but greatly appreciated. FedEx botched the delivery window so I got it a few days later than expected, but the shipment packaging was superb. There was no damage at all despite the signs of it being tossed about like a football. A+ on packaging.

Unpacking took me, no lie, 30min to unwrap each piece and assess I had everything; without written diagram instructions I had to go back and forth from an install video on my laptop. Diabolical has an install video for a 4xe done in real time (~2hrs edited). It felt like it was about a 60lb package but I didn’t scale it.

That said, watching the various install videos is a MUST; this is a modular kit and as such it requires a bit of adjustment/readjustment during the install. The hardest part for me was pulling the paper backing off the squishy tape; the second hardest was alignment of the side-frames to allow smooth folding of the top panels. I bought extra 2”wide x 1/8”thick squishy tape from Grainger.com as I knew I’d be ripping that stuff and adding extra to various areas, which I did. Buy extra tape!

It took me 4hrs of actual work. Everything is bolts/washers/nyloc nuts and some places are hard to reach for adjustment later on. After getting it together, the folding top sections wouldn’t fit. So, I perused the 4xe video again and, yep, there is some adjusting to be done and I finally got it set the way I want. The one thing bugging me are the modular corners that are removable for soft top users; the corner pieces tend to rise up a little, showing a small gap but easily press down when the hard top goes on. I’ll have to figure some two-sided squishy tape to rectify that.

A concern I’d seen voiced was how this affects the hard top seal. I added some extra squishy tape to the body rail that wasn’t covered by the Slipstream to eliminate potential gaps. When I set the hard top on the Jeep, it fit perfectly. After completely reinstalling the top I did a road test and found no new air gap noises. It’s not been water tested, but I see no reason for any leaks. There is no discernable gap above the back seat doors either and looks totally stock as if the Slipstream wasn’t there.

There are some minor rattles from the locking pins but I’ll use some shrink wrap on the pins and/or some more squishy tape by the holes used by the pins. Buy extra roll(s) of squishy tape. I used some for areas where the Slipstream frame/panels touch or could potentially touch the interior panels to prevent scratches and further seal up the cargo area for when the hard top is off.

Diabolical Slipstream Score: A

After fussing with the install and comparing it to installing a Tuffy unit years ago in like 20min, I really do like the Slipstream. It maximizes the usable space and doubles as a tonneau cover when the hard top comes off and seems more secure. I think it’s priced a bit high, but the fit, part quality (including the hardware and powdercoating) and function, are excellent. I have no doubt the Slipstream can handle 200+ lbs evenly distributed. I’ll probably bolster the underside for even more rigidity for peace of mind and add more pics later. Quick pics for now (Please ignore the floor mat that isn't trimmed yet):

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design
Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Vehicle Hood
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally got around to completing the Diabolical Slipstream install on my 4xe Rubi. My long winded assessment:

First of all, Alan from Diabolical was terrific to deal with handling questions over the phone on a Saturday; that was unexpected but greatly appreciated. FedEx botched the delivery window so I got it a few days later than expected, but the shipment packaging was superb. There was no damage at all despite the signs of it being tossed about like a football. A+ on packaging.

Unpacking took me, no lie, 30min to unwrap each piece and assess I had everything; without written diagram instructions I had to go back and forth from an install video on my laptop. Diabolical has an install video for a 4xe done in real time (~2hrs edited). It felt like it was about a 60lb package but I didn’t scale it.

That said, watching the various install videos is a MUST; this is a modular kit and as such it requires a bit of adjustment/readjustment during the install. The hardest part for me was pulling the paper backing off the squishy tape; the second hardest was alignment of the side-frames to allow smooth folding of the top panels. I bought extra 2”wide x 1/8”thick squishy tape from Grainger.com as I knew I’d be ripping that stuff and adding extra to various areas, which I did. Buy extra tape!

It took me 4hrs of actual work. Everything is bolts/washers/nyloc nuts and some places are hard to reach for adjustment later on. After getting it together, the folding top sections wouldn’t fit. So, I perused the 4xe video again and, yep, there is some adjusting to be done and I finally got it set the way I want. The one thing bugging me are the modular corners that are removable for soft top users; the corner pieces tend to rise up a little, showing a small gap but easily press down when the hard top goes on. I’ll have to figure some two-sided squishy tape to rectify that.

A concern I’d seen voiced was how this affects the hard top seal. I added some extra squishy tape to the body rail that wasn’t covered by the Slipstream to eliminate potential gaps. When I set the hard top on the Jeep, it fit perfectly. After completely reinstalling the top I did a road test and found no new air gap noises. It’s not been water tested, but I see no reason for any leaks. There is no discernable gap above the back seat doors either and looks totally stock as if the Slipstream wasn’t there.

There are some minor rattles from the locking pins but I’ll use some shrink wrap on the pins and/or some more squishy tape by the holes used by the pins. Buy extra roll(s) of squishy tape. I used some for areas where the Slipstream frame/panels touch or could potentially touch the interior panels to prevent scratches and further seal up the cargo area for when the hard top is off.

Diabolical Slipstream Score: A

After fussing with the install and comparing it to installing a Tuffy unit years ago in like 20min, I really do like the Slipstream. It maximizes the usable space and doubles as a tonneau cover when the hard top comes off and seems more secure. I think it’s priced a bit high, but the fit, part quality (including the hardware and powdercoating) and function, are excellent. I have no doubt the Slipstream can handle 200+ lbs evenly distributed. I’ll probably bolster the underside for even more rigidity for peace of mind and add more pics later. Quick pics for now (Please ignore the floor mat that isn't trimmed yet):

View attachment 2786 View attachment 2787 View attachment 2788
Super helpful. Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts