Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Should Jeep perform a service recall the on 4xe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think all 4xe should be brought in for service and check to ensure all the factory and dealer prep items were completed. @JeepCares

What do you think

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
74 Posts
I don’t have a good enough understanding of how many vehicles are experiencing issues of the same exact problem, to give my vote.

Major Problems I have noted, or seen here.

1. Loose fuses/relays (poor QC/assembly)
2. Loose gas cap (user error, problem across all cars, manufactures, that have modern emission standards, and pressurize their gas tanks.)
3. EV harness connection, EV harness damaged during assembly issues (poor QC/assembly)
4. PIM/IDCM EV brains (PIM), and Charging module (IDCM) replacements. I have seen these replaced, and later, they find out it was the EV harness causing the problems. (Defective/maybe assembly issues/wrong diagnosis).
5. Loose steering and suspension components, ball joints are loose, and they make cracking noises when steering. (JL/JT issue/poor QC/assembly)
6. Uconnect issues, no backup lines, missing hybrid screens, etc. (Firmware update issues, buggy versions, not a 4xe only issue problem across all JL/JT’s)

I wish I could see what percentage of vehicles have problems, and what specific of problems they have.

I see many of the major issues as Quality Control issues, that look to be caused by poor assembly. These are problems that could be fixed quickly, and they may have been addressed on the line, but we are not told.

Would be nice if Jeep could communicate we saw x,y and z issues during assembly of the 4xe, and we have resolved those by offering additional training to our employees, or we recalibrated a robot causing the problems.

I stress out a little, not knowing, and seeing the negative posts in these forums, but I have not had any of the above issues on my Jeep, or any issues at all, but I probably just jinxed myself.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
74 Posts
Check out this August recall from turtles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dealer just told me there are 5(!) software/firmware updates to apply to the vehicle next time it's in. These include updates for:
  • Transmission control module
  • Battery pack control module
  • Powertrain control module
  • Hybrid processor control module
  • Integrated dual charging module
Hopefully these solve some of the scarier issues.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is a little survey we've had running for a while in the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook. While I fully agree there are a good number of issues, the problem is that the percentages just aren't enough to justify an actual recall. Recalls normally have to be safety issues that impact all or most of vehicles produced. I'm not saying that the issues aren't enormously frustrating. What I'm saying is that there is no proven large percentage of safety issues that would justify a recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1864[/ATTACH]
Is this survey still open? New members having issues may not have seen this or had an opportunity to respond. This list also doesn’t include the cause of my first weeks-long stint at the dealer for the ABS module as an option. And I believe recalls can and do happen in VIN batches. But I understand why Jeep may want to attempt to take care of things offline and avoid the public notice aspect of an actual recall. I am holding out some hope that some of the software updates help.

The thing I take issue with on this forum is people who are “sick of the negativity” or claim that we who post looking for answers or venting our concerns have ulterior motives or are spam/duplicate accounts. I don’t “work for Ford” or want a Bronco. I bought the Wrangler 4xe. I voted with my wallet—at significant cost. As did the others here posting their issues and legitimate concerns. This was a dream vehicle for us. I want to be a fanboy, too. But Jeep has thus far made that impossible for enough of us that it should matter a bit more than some of us feel it does. It sure doesn’t seem like just a few lemons… If issues would be addressed with openness and some effort at promptness (or at least real honesty about what is going on with the defects and delays) we could all get back to patting each other on the back for owning what should be an impressive, exciting vehicle.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As someone who has had a highway shutdown I don't see anything that needs a recall. It sucks, but I read about it enough on here I was ready for it when it happened.

I do see need for better QC in the factory as the #1 problem.

The other issue is the software on this new platform. Software is the most complex part of the engineering effort. Software wound up being the biggest challenge of the Apollo program and plagues Boeing to these days on their aerospace programs. Boeing has been killing hundreds of people and delaying humanities return to the moon and beyond with software bugs.

At least we are getting an update after a short amount of time on the market. I expected we would need a few releases to get things ironed out. If you wait for the software to be perfect, you'll never come to market.

The ball joints, I think that just needs to be a maintenance item for break in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is this survey still open? New members having issues may not have seen this or had an opportunity to respond. This list also doesn’t include the cause of my first weeks-long stint at the dealer for the ABS module as an option. And I believe recalls can and do happen in VIN batches. But I understand why Jeep may want to attempt to take care of things offline and avoid the public notice aspect of an actual recall. I am holding out some hope that some of the software updates help.

The thing I take issue with on this forum is people who are “sick of the negativity” or claim that we who post looking for answers or venting our concerns have ulterior motives or are spam/duplicate accounts. I don’t “work for Ford” or want a Bronco. I bought the Wrangler 4xe. I voted with my wallet—at significant cost. As did the others here posting their issues and legitimate concerns. This was a dream vehicle for us. I want to be a fanboy, too. But Jeep has thus far made that impossible for enough of us that it should matter a bit more than some of us feel it does. It sure doesn’t seem like just a few lemons… If issues would be addressed with openness and some effort at promptness (or at least real honesty about what is going on with the defects and delays) we could all get back to patting each other on the back for owning what should be an impressive, exciting vehicle.
It has remained pinned to the top of the group for several weeks and receives votes regularly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a little survey we've had running for a while in the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook. While I fully agree there are a good number of issues, the problem is that the percentages just aren't enough to justify an actual recall. Recalls normally have to be safety issues that impact all or most of vehicles produced. I'm not saying that the issues aren't enormously frustrating. What I'm saying is that there is no proven large percentage of safety issues that would justify a recall.

View attachment 1864
Thanks for this post, I don't believe in Facebook and don't have an account. This is a good summary, please keep up posted on the results.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recalls don’t really work that way. Also, while I don’t dismiss the reality that some Jeeps have issues, the perception of pervasive problems is magnified by forums such as this.

Having said that, I’ll be visiting our local church and lighting a candle or two before picking up my 4xe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How on earth could they resolve people putting the gas cap on wrong with a recall? Come on Man!
My 2019 ram didn't even have a gas cap... it was a spring-loaded flap integrated with the filler neck, but it never caused an error. For the JL, I'd be happy if the current cap just provided more feedback. The resistance for the first 1/8 "turn to click" is the same resistance as the other clicks. It's hard to tell if it's actually tight. Small complain, but it's caused me 2 CELs in 5 fill-ups (40% failure rate). I know that if a family member tries using it, they will not get it on right.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How on earth could they resolve people putting the gas cap on wrong with a recall? Come on Man!
It's not a problem with putting the cap on properly. The 4XE tank is pressurized, and I think the problem has something to do with the cap not holding that seal under pressure. My CEL has gone on when the cap was carefully placed on with extra clicks to ensure it was tight. Light has gone on 5 times now, each time after being cleared. We're aware of it and being extra careful and it still goes on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's not a problem with putting the cap on properly. The 4XE tank is pressurized, and I think the problem has something to do with the cap not holding that seal under pressure. My CEL has gone on when the cap was carefully placed on with extra clicks to ensure it was tight. Light has gone on 5 times now, each time after being cleared. We're aware of it and being extra careful and it still goes on.
Sounds like Jeep dealers should be giving out a complementary OBD II Scanner with every purchase. It sure would be nice if they redesign a no hassle, no wrong way up or down cap and mail them out to 4xe owners to resolve this asap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like Jeep dealers should be giving out a complementary OBD II Scanner with every purchase. It sure would be nice if they redesign a no hassle, no wrong way up or down cap and mail them out to 4xe owners to resolve this asap.
Reading between the lines of what my dealer has told me (engineers are on it, fix is coming), this might actually be in the works.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It has a gas cap?
Tank is pressurized, which helps extend the life of fuel. Not uncommon in PHEVs where people may not use gas for weeks. So it needs a cap. It's also why the 4XE has a gas door button when other Jeeps don't. When you push that button, it depressurizes and then pops the door open.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts