Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally planned to install a level 2 Charger, but have not found that it would help me for my use much. I've had the 4XE for 4 months, rarely drive it more than 20 miles a day. Charge overnight and good to go again. With about 1300 miles, about 80% of those are electric (would even be higher except I had to run for a week when it shut off electric to refresh the gas)

I guess the level 2 would be helpful if you regularly drive 25 miles, come home for a few hours and then need to drive again. I am sure there are other uses that might justify the cost.

So wondering if you level 2 charger's feel like it is an important upgrade and why? (or how you use it?).

·
Registered
901 Posts
I got for that reason you stated. I can round trip to work on full electric. But if I go out late, get home late, forget to charge, charging session flakes out, etc., I don't need to worry.

If I looked at it from a cost perspective it doesn't make sense as I'll still have gas/oil refresh cycles. But I like driving all electric.

I plan to keep the tank about half way. That way I can just add 4 gallons and refresh a larger percentage of the fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I originally planned to install a level 2 Charger, but have not found that it would help me for my use much. I've had the 4XE for 4 months, rarely drive it more than 20 miles a day. Charge overnight and good to go again. With about 1300 miles, about 80% of those are electric (would even be higher except I had to run for a week when it shut off electric to refresh the gas)

I guess the level 2 would be helpful if you regularly drive 25 miles, come home for a few hours and then need to drive again. I am sure there are other uses that might justify the cost.

So wondering if you level 2 charger's feel like it is an important upgrade and why? (or how you use it?).
We found that on weekends, busy with kid activities, shopping runs, errands, it’s handy to hit the Level 2 we put in the garage between outings to stay on the battery. Love it.

You can use a high quality fuel stabilizer to keep gas fresh.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've found the charging sessions have also become more stable and predictable. None of that getting stuck stuff.

This also may be my imagination, but I swear 100% lasts longer. Before, if I wasn't still waiting at 98%, I'd drop to 99~98% before I was out my driveway. Now I'm almost out of my neighborhood.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've found the charging sessions have also become more stable and predictable. None of that getting stuck stuff.

This also may be my imagination, but I swear 100% lasts longer. Before, if I wasn't still waiting at 98%, I'd drop to 99~98% before I was out my driveway. Now I'm almost out of my neighborhood.
Usually batteries will reach maximum capacity after a few charge/discharge cycles.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Interesting, but for my case I had probably 150 cycles already before I got the level 2 Charger.

If anything, it felt like it was getting worse. But I think it was just me going out a bit more often, post vaccination and not being able to fully recover at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Usually batteries will reach maximum capacity after a few charge/discharge cycles.
Drivers learn to drive more efficiently as well. When we brought the 4Xe home a full battery read as 21 miles. Now a full battery reads 28 miles and we get more range than the EPA published battery range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd like the idea to do our commutes only in electric. So the level 2 charge was a must for us, in two hours and 20 minutes you reach 100% of charge. I got a Mustart (updated version), which was installed by myself and spend only about $60 in materials for doing it. Couldn't be more happy with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a splitter cable on my dryer outlet (30 amp) $60. I bought a wolfbox 24 amp charger off Amazon for quick charges. For how much I have used it, I may or may not add an outlet in the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.