Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reset trip A before leaving for work this morning. Covered 26.7 miles, all electric, 0 gas. Battery was 11 percent when I got home. Reported MPG for the trip was 63.9. What does that mean?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I’m not sure. I have 850 miles. 174 gas, the rest electric and have used 1/2 a tank of gas. The MPG reported is 39, I would think it would be much higher.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The calculator in the 4XE has a crazy imagination and a bit of a sense of humor. It also has no way to measure the energy used when in electric mode. It calculates the miles but not the electrons.

it starts your calculations based on where your overall average is. So if your overall average is 30MPG, it sort of starts there. It figures 99mpg while driving in electric. Somehow, it weighs that 99mpg against your overall average. The more electric miles you cover, the higher that overall weighted average is.

I was messing around one night as I drove in electric mode. I kept resetting both trip odometers and the overall average MPG over and over. I eventually got my overall average to read 99mpg and that’s where it caps out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2nd gen volt had a great way of handling this, it calculated MPGe or MPG Equivalent while on battery separate from the MPG on gas, displayed both then also displayed the average of the two together. Didn't treat the electricity as free like the 4xe display does. Jeep: this would be a nice feature add for our 4xe's in uconnect hybrid screen!
Example below (sorry for the crappy fingerprints) but you can see MPGe and MPG along with equivelant energy consumed on the right, then combined and lifetime averages on the left.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Anyone know the formula for MPGE? I have been tracking my KwH on my Splitvolt and would love to know what I am actually getting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
33.7 kWh is considered to be the amount of energy stored in a gallon of gasoline. Your maths then become
MPGe = mile driven * 33.7 / kWh consumed
(I stole this from here: Miles per gallon gasoline equivalent - Wikipedia)
Not sure what formula the volt was using above because the math doesn’t line up with the display, but it may also not be accurate because it may be hard to track actual kWh consumed as directly rated to EV mileage when blending both simultaneous gas and electric usage. (The picture above is me going through the mountains so i was forcing the electric motor to help the ICE heavily) i suspect this will be an issue with the 4xe even more since hybrid mode heavily blends electric and ICE together at freeway speeds and the EV miles tracked seems really weird to me at that point.
But the formula should get you close if the ICE never starts and you’ve been on pure Electric. We’re rated at 49MPGe so be curious where the forum members efficiency falls in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts