Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

I am curious anybody here has thought of what are the things we ourselves (or ask dealer) to check (dealer prep) in the vehicle before taking the delivery of the new 4xe ?

I saw someone mentioned that we should ask the dealer to push all the FUSEs in the fuse box, which is a great tip

What else ?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wouldn't trust them to do that but if you have a helpful salesperson, he/she might do it. They just want to get you out the door ASAP and try to confuse you with extra add-ons at closing. The dealership is your enemy and won't hesitate to pass on a problem to you. Perhaps a bit harsh, but yeah, it can self destruct after you sign and it's not their problem.

I would:

Make sure they have it charged to 100% for you. This will flush out a charging system issue.
  • Check fuses yourself
  • Check the 3 coolant reservoirs yourself
  • Take an extended test drive in full electric and then with e-save on to do a good hybrid test. Be a PITA on this one as so many issues that happen, seem to be on the drive home.
  • Check the 3 coolant levels again. Both the 4xe and etorques before are known for assembly line issues in the cooling systems.
  • Check that it goes back on the charger just fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wouldn't trust them to do that but if you have a helpful salesperson, he/she might do it. They just want to get you out the door ASAP and try to confuse you with extra add-ons at closing. The dealership is your enemy and won't hesitate to pass on a problem to you. Perhaps a bit harsh, but yeah, it can self destruct after you sign and it's not their problem.

I would:

Make sure they have it charged to 100% for you. This will flush out a charging system issue.
  • Check fuses yourself
  • Take an extended test drive in full electric and then with e-save on to do a good hybrid test. Be a PITA on this one as so many issues that happen, seem to be on the drive home.
  • Check the 3 coolant levels again. Both the 4xe and etorques before are known for assembly line issues in the cooling systems.
These are great additions to the checklist I have. My salesman is going to think I'm a PITA but that's OK.

·
Registered
611 Posts
@michail Where are the 3 coolant reservoirs? I thought there was 1!

Thanks!
There engine coolant is black and has a dip stick. I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

There is also the battery coolant and electronics coolant reservoirs. Those are sealed but you can see the levels in them.

My list is purely based off of circumstantial evidence of issues posted online that have seemed to show up right away. They seem to be electrical (often the fuse box), a leak in the battery cooling systems usually from an assembly/manufacturing issue, and then issues with the charging system.

Another thing to look for it the neoprene mat that may be floating around somewhere in the cabin. It's a liner for the rear cargo storage box. I didn't know it was there until I saw it blow out thew back when my top was open. Some people don't know what it is and throw it away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@VAWrangler Would you be interested in sharing your checklist in this forum, so folks waiting to pick up can benefit as well ?
It's just one I found online. It seems to hit most major items though.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I would:

• Check fuses yourself
Wish I read this 3 days ago.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wish I read this 3 days ago.
I sounded so harsh reading myself back, lol. I'm not typically that negative.

Hopefully you are okay. If you just picked up you likely had your high voltage cable connections checked and new software flashes performed.

Early on it seemed the factory wasn't connecting the coolant hoses properly, grounding cables, the high voltage cables, and (in one case) of someone's front axle. But I think that's been getting better.

I think things are getting better as I haven't been seeing as many fail off the lot as they were back in May and June but it might also be there is such limited supply.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I’m about to take delivery and I emailed the dealership to check these things during their prep…properly seated fuses, software update, any recalls, tighten the ball joints, fill the gas tank, charge the ev battery and check the charge of the 12v battery.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The ball joints may need to be taken care of later. They seem to have a brake in period of around 1000 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m about to take delivery and I emailed the dealership to check these things during their prep…properly seated fuses, software update, any recalls, tighten the ball joints, fill the gas tank, charge the ev battery and check the charge of the 12v battery.
Congrats @Skades89 !!
I would recommend checking/r=tightening the fuel cap as it is of new style and if not closed properly it can throw CEL in a day or two!! Check this out

Enjoy!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats @Skades89 !!
I would recommend checking/r=tightening the fuel cap as it is of new style and if not closed properly it can throw CEL in a day or two!! Check this out

Enjoy!
Thanks so much, I’m excited. Another great point and another great video by Chris Hall. I planned to check the fuel cap and all fluid levels myself along with the standard stuff. ✌

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't let them sneak in the VIN etching charge.

Also, make them print out every piece of paper before you sign everything electronically on an iPad or similar. Sure, you can still sign electronically but it's better to have the paperwork so you can go through all the documents and make sure everything you've agreed to with no extra charges.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts