Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Had our first real warm day with the 4xe and noticed something interesting, it was quite hot in the cabin when I got in, I started in electric mode with full charge and noticed a constant 5kw draw on the battery even when parked. I assume this is the battery conditioning itself, what is concerning to me is that it doesn’t look like the battery conditions itself when the vehicle is not in run mode. Any experiences otherwise? Does the battery condition when plugged in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Battery conditioning only happens when plugged in and when the vehicle is started. Were you plugged in? You can go to the hybrid screen and go to power flow to see where power is going. It has a spot that shows what the environmental controls are pulling.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
So when plugged in, and at 100% charge, say the vehicle sits for a few days. No conditioning of the battery correct??

·
Registered
188 Posts
So when plugged in, and at 100% charge, say the vehicle sits for a few days. No conditioning of the battery correct??
While parked, the vehicle will attempt to keep the battery temp in range provided it is plugged in and sufficient power is available. L2 power is preferred.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My wife called me yesterday afternoon to say the Jeep was making a very loud noise. Like it was getting ready to take flight. I told her it was just the A/C running the chiller to cool the battery. It was 109 degrees around that time of the day.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
I’m talking about the 12V battery
Oh. Oops. Was thinking HVB.
The Hybrid supplement said something about maintaining the LVB if left parked for a few weeks but I don't remember if that requires the vehicle to be plugged in. ??

I would expect the LVB to get topped off anytime the HVB is conditioned though, so by default there could be some LVB maintenance occurring from time to time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While parked, the vehicle will attempt to keep the battery temp in range provided it is plugged in and sufficient power is available. L2 power is preferred.
I guess it’s just interesting to me that they didn’t engineer the battery to attempt to condition any time there is sufficient reserve in the battery (>15%), at least to avoid damaging temperature soaks or inoperable temperatures, makes me wonder how much I’m shortening the battery’s life leaving the car in sun for 8 hrs on a hot day then jumping right in and pulling 50KW rate in electric only.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That's a good concern for those of us in hot climates that have to park at work all day in the sun. I haven't had to go in to the office for over a year now but that may change.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I guess it’s just interesting to me that they didn’t engineer the battery to attempt to condition any time there is sufficient reserve in the battery (>15%), at least to avoid damaging temperature soaks or inoperable temperatures, makes me wonder how much I’m shortening the battery’s life leaving the car in sun for 8 hrs on a hot day then jumping right in and pulling 50KW rate in electric only.
Valid concern. The smaller the battery pack the more vulnerable it is to temp extremes. If the pack temp became critical then drawing power to run the compressor, pumps and fans might do more harm than good. In that scenario the better choice might be to start the engine to allow the motor bolted to the side of the engine to power the chiller and cool the HVB. Then when it is cool enough it can be used for electric propulsion.

It is a double edge sword putting the HVB in the passenger cabin. On one hand it is sheltered from potential damage while off road but the flip side is it is exposed to potential high cabin temps from being parked in the sun with windows up. Even worse is being parked in the sun with the top off and the absolute worst would be to remove or flip up the seat bottoms and expose the metal case to direct sunlight.

The hybrid supplement has several entries recommending the vehicle be plugged in whenever possible and cautions against exposing the battery pack to direct sunlight....even during operation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Valid concern. The smaller the battery pack the more vulnerable it is to temp extremes. If the pack temp became critical then drawing power to run the compressor, pumps and fans might do more harm than good. In that scenario the better choice might be to start the engine to allow the motor bolted to the side of the engine to power the chiller and cool the HVB. Then when it is cool enough it can be used for electric propulsion.

It is a double edge sword putting the HVB in the passenger cabin. On one hand it is sheltered from potential damage while off road but the flip side is it is exposed to potential high cabin temps from being parked in the sun with windows up. Even worse is being parked in the sun with the top off and the absolute worst would be to remove or flip up the seat bottoms and expose the metal case to direct sunlight.

The hybrid supplement has several entries recommending the vehicle be plugged in whenever possible and cautions against exposing the battery pack to direct sunlight....even during operation.
I wonder if a little bit of diy install with a couple of inches of XPS might be advantageous, looks to have some clearance between seat bottom and battery...

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
My fan ran today while battery was charging. Scared the s#%t outta me going into the garage.😆 It really blows!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts