Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Wrangler JK 2011
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone on this forum has been able to drive the 4xe. I ordered one and trust it will be great, bu wanted to see if anyone has experienced it yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are a few people in the Wrangler 4XE Fans Group on Facebook that have the test units. They aren't really allowed to say much at this point. I would imagine a few of them are here too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome @Garry! What is the Wrangler 4xe like compared to other vehicles you owned or tested?
Did you order one? If so, how did you spec it?
I've driven a lot of wranglers on various vacations over the years, but not since about ten years ago. I am amazed how far the ride and handling have come. Our current vehicles are a 2007 Z4M, a 2015 X5 and a 2016 435i so I would say we are used to a very high level of both performance and comfort. We started test driving JLU's about a month ago and were blown away by how great they are on the road. We drove all three "conventional" powertrains, both Saharas and Rubicpns. Then we borrowed a prototype 4xe Sahara from a good friend and it was a no brainer. We had it for five days. On the day after we reluctantly gave the keys back, we went and ordered a 4xe Rubicon in Billet Silver with dual tops, body colored everything and every option except the ashtray. When it eventually arrives we intend to get it very muddy and sandy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've driven a lot of wranglers on various vacations over the years, but not since about ten years ago. I am amazed how far the ride and handling have come. Our current vehicles are a 2007 Z4M, a 2015 X5 and a 2016 435i so I would say we are used to a very high level of both performance and comfort. We started test driving JLU's about a month ago and were blown away by how great they are on the road. We drove all three "conventional" powertrains, both Saharas and Rubicpns. Then we borrowed a prototype 4xe Sahara from a good friend and it was a no brainer. We had it for five days. On the day after we reluctantly gave the keys back, we went and ordered a 4xe Rubicon in Billet Silver with dual tops, body colored everything and every option except the ashtray. When it eventually arrives we intend to get it very muddy and sandy.
That's awesome you got to drive it for 5 days. Does your friend work for Jeep?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool stuff. What about the 4xe stood out to you compared to the Saharas and Rubicons you tested?
Smoother through the gears, way more power and much quieter even when driving in Hybrid mode with the ICE running. The motor shares the load so the ICE does less work. It seemed much more refined overall. What I will need to get used to is when you press the start button and you just get an electronic sound and a "ready" light, then you pull away and it's all quiet. It's very cool. I'm sure many on here already have experience of EVs but it's still new to me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Smoother through the gears, way more power and much quieter even when driving in Hybrid mode with the ICE running. The motor shares the load so the ICE does less work. It seemed much more refined overall. What I will need to get used to is when you press the start button and you just get an electronic sound and a "ready" light, then you pull away and it's all quiet. It's very cool. I'm sure many on here already have experience of EVs but it's still new to me.
I like the sound of the smooth power delivery. Did you try the full EV mode by any chance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great to hear. My is scheduled to leave the factory on Friday.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How did it sound?
Any cool humming sound like other hybrids and EVs when in motion?

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you like its power delivery compared to a regular Wrangler in everyday driving situations?
It's a lot smoother and more powerful than the other options. I found the 2L turbo and 3.6 to be decent but somewhat stressed. The diesel was a disappointment for me as I've had a few excellent diesels in the past, and I found it quite underpowered for a 3 litre. I found the hybrid to be great up to 60 but also from 60 to 90 on the freeway. Overall the performance of the 4xe is excellent. People are getting hung up on the disappointing EPA numbers but surely that is not why anyone buys a Wrangler in my opinion.

·
Registered
Wrangler JK 2011
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is great to hear. I was planning to go with the diesel first, but didn’t like the turbo lag. We have a BMW X5 diesel, and it is very fast, with minimal turbo lag. So that is when I looked into the hybrid wrangler. Obviously have not driven it, but hope it is as good as advertised and it seems some early indications from people on the forum confirm it!

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
20 Posts
It's a lot smoother and more powerful than the other options. I found the 2L turbo and 3.6 to be decent but somewhat stressed. The diesel was a disappointment for me as I've had a few excellent diesels in the past, and I found it quite underpowered for a 3 litre. I found the hybrid to be great up to 60 but also from 60 to 90 on the freeway. Overall the performance of the 4xe is excellent. People are getting hung up on the disappointing EPA numbers but surely that is not why anyone buys a Wrangler in my opinion.
Thank you for the advanced information. Very glad you liked it. Makes waiting and worrying if I selected the right one much easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts