Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Will the 4xe run without the batteries?

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  michail 
#1 ·
I know, crazy topic but bear with me a second. The 800 lbs in batteries push the limit when flat towing the 4xe. I've been thinking of all these ways to strip weight when a simpler solution dawned on me. If I remove half, or all of the batteries when I'm going to tow, will the 4xe run fine on gas only?

#2 ·
With all due respect and assuming you are asking an honest question and not trying to pull our chain. I had a few minutes, waiting on the wife, so here it goes....
Removing the high voltage battery would be:
Extremely difficult. Extremely difficult. Near impossible for an amateur, without large wire cutters.
‘Very time consuming.
A job Not suited for a non trained Jeep Technician
once you get it unhooked, how are you going to get 800# out of the back seat? How many friends do you have?
How will you recalibrate the computer to run on the engine only?
Where will you store the battery? Leave at home? Store it in the RV?
‘Heck, I have a hard time storing my folding bikes in my RV and they only weight 67#

So, my suggestions to you, not in any particular order:
1. Trade in the 4xe for a non-hybrid Jeep, simplest thing to do, I’m sure there are plenty of folks wanting to buy a 4xe.
2. Get a BIGGER tow vehicle with at least 10,000# tow capacity. 7500# tow capacity will probably do, just stay away from Colorado, Idaho, Montana, etc.
3. Or strip the doors, the top, the bumpers, pull out the backseat, leave the spare at home, that still might not do it.

Good luck with your project. Please let us know how it turned out.
‘Yes, I was bored.

#3 ·
Being new to Hybrids (definitely not new to engineering though), it was a serious question. I looked at it more this morning and it looks like a single battery sealed in a waterproof case. I had assumed it could be like some hybrids where multiple batteries were in series and a few could possibly be removed with a hydraulic lift. The hybrid is great for the daily 25 mile round trip to work but working on ideas for towing on a few trips a year.

I'm upgrading the tow hitch now as I can tow around 6500 lbs but the hitch is only rated at 5000. Already been working on tube doors, a soft top, and removing the spare tire. It looks like I'll continue on that path! The Rubicon is 5200 lbs before modifications so I'll be taking it to the scale to get weighed after making a few more changes.

#5 ·
Might be possible to remove some cells as long as the voltage remains in the same range. The cooling plate sensors would need to be recalibrate so the cooling system doesn't malfunction. And any warranty would be voided immediately of course.

Anything is possible but the risk/reward factor is definately not in your favor here. I recommend you leave the HVB as is and accept the weight penalty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.