Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are using the 4XE 90% of the time (that's me) in electric only, will it last longer than a non-PHEV Wrangler because there is less use of the ICE engine?

Also, with regenerative braking, won't the brakes last much longer too?

Cheers.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would say so, depending on usage patterns. We will likely have some issue that come with non-use. But those take years before they become an issue.

By the time batteries become an issue I have hope we could swap in a pack with 5x the energy capacity. But probably would just buy something new by then. Jeep probably would not have interest in supporting the software and hardware changes needed either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Since we are using the 4XE 90% of the time (that's me) in electric only, will it last longer than a non-PHEV Wrangler because there is less use of the ICE engine?

Also, with regenerative braking, won't the brakes last much longer too?

Cheers.
The answer is…absolutely and absolutely.

Will the battery have to be replaced eventually? Yes. But that will be well into the six figures in miles. Meanwhile, the engine is going to last MUCH longer due to less use and lower taxing when it is being used.

The brakes will last a multiple of times longer. As will the oil changes.

About the only thing that will cost more is the tires which will wear slightly faster due to the 700 extra pounds of battery.

·
Registered
258 Posts
With reasonable driving habits, the friction brakes might last the life of the vehicle. The engine in the 4xe won't last as long as a non-PHEV Wrangler when measured with run time hours but will last much longer when measured by calendar days or miles driven (assuming reasonable mix of daily driver duty use).

Most PHEV owners don't keep their vehicles as long as an ICE because the desire to go full BEV when a suitable model is available. In the case of the Wrangler.....that could be a while. We leased our 4xe with hopes a suitable BEV would be available by the time our 3 years is up. We aren't holding our breath though. I can think of worse things then driving a 4xe for 3-5 years. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would think with all the electronic and cooling and high voltage wiring and future battery replacement I would trade before warranty is out,I would trust ICE and it wiring more than this system.I only own one of these because of current political climate,I would prefer wrangler with 392 or rebel Trx.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would think with all the electronic and cooling and high voltage wiring and future battery replacement I would trade before warranty is out,I would trust ICE and it wiring more than this system.I only own one of these because of current political climate,I would prefer wrangler with 392 or rebel Trx.
?

So many ?

Politics forced you to own a 4xe?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hope I'm remembering this correctly but a few years ago someone tore down some high mileage Prius vehicles that had been used as taxis. The wear was much less than a standard ice vehicle. 400k mile Prius looked like a 150k Corolla or something like that.

Mostly attributed to the fact that the electric motor provided the power for starting from a stop, which is the biggest contributor to engine wear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
?

So many ?

Politics forced you to own a 4xe?
I’m watching our country go into trash can and have experienced not having any fuel in our town for two day,it encouraged me to buy 4xe,as a previous auto tech these vehicles look like nightmare to own after warranty is out,unless you have deep pockets for expensive repairs

·
Registered
209 Posts
Electric motors are going to last a long time and maybe last longer than even the chassis. The batteries should still be good a decade later albeit at maybe 70-80% of capacity compared to when new. One of my uncles has an early Tesla S that is 9yrs and over 200,000+ miles old; his best weather range currently is at 70% from what he logged when new. It supercharges really slow now (Tesla nerf'd the speed after ~4yrs ) but the car still runs fine so I'd expect no less degradation from the newer Samsung SDI battery cells in the 4xe especially as it will see only L1 or L2 charging.

Electronics in the 4xe, besides the built-in inverter, motor, battery and temp control parts, is typical of other Wranglers and other vehicles in general. The areas of failure I would bet are not much different than a regular Wrangler (CV or U-joints, bearings, ball joints etc), and the powertrain itself should last longer with the electric motor always assisting not to mention doing all the work when running short errands in EV mode.

Gas/Diesel engines get most wear & tear from cold starts, short trips and poor maintenance. The 4xe in EV mode can eliminate the wear from the short trips so I'd also wager the 2.0 in the 4xe will last many years/miles longer than the non-4xe Wranglers. We shall certainly see, but my confidence is high enough that I bet my money on purchasing for the long term.

·
Registered
429 Posts
well how long last a washing machine motor ? 15-20 years ? i expect the same from the ev and plug in hybrids as well. but lets see who the political climate cry-sis will change our use of gasoline at all.
and maybe it will end soon of gas/diesel vehicles for private use. who knows.
So the Wrangler 4xe last long enough :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes. Once the original battery pack degrades after 10+ years 120k+ miles (estimates), it will still run on the ICE which will be a low mileage motor at this point. As long as the controller ‘sees’ a battery pack, it should continue to run although as a conventional ICE vehicle long after battery performance is lost. The aftermarket may eventually offer affordable, higher capacity replacement batteries, so I’m confident the 4xe platform will have a long life under hybrid or ICE power.

·
Registered
901 Posts
In ten years we'll probably be able to swap out the 17kWh battery for a 500kWh.
I'll say about 85 kWh minimum. 500 kWh would be insane, like 640k or memory would be enough.

But with all the EV detractors out there. One of their key assumptions is there will never be advances/improvements over what we had 5 to 10 year in the past already.

It's as if humans aren't capable of change, solving problems, and improvements.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.