Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Got our first ever Jeep Wrangler today - a 2021 Sahara Unlimited 4XE. We live in Atlantic Canada where winters are really bad, and we also live in the country around 30 minutes from either town.

Wondering if OEM wheels are safe to run in the winter or if they'll chip and scuff?

Also, any winter tire recommendation? Studded or studdless?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally, I bought a set of rims from an older Sahara to use for winter tires. I have a Rubicon, so my stock size is a bit different. I’m going with LT265/70-18 to get the stock tire height. I don’t really need them where I am, but I figured I might as well get them. 80% sure I’m going with Blizzaks. Probably Blizzak LT. The possible alternative I’m considering is the Cooper Snow Claw.

·
Registered
149 Posts
not specific tp Jeep but i lived up north for over a decade and ran bridgestone blizzak as my winter tire on stock rims (22 inch mall crawling rims). I have used that combo and travelled nearly entire northern part of US in most severe winter weather. never had a chip or a scuff.

i swear by the blizzak studless tires. they are amazing

Reactions: Shakes

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not specific tp Jeep but i lived up north for over a decade and ran bridgestone blizzak as my winter tire on stock rims (22 inch mall crawling rims). I have used that combo and travelled nearly entire northern part of US in most severe winter weather. never had a chip or a scuff.

i swear by the blizzak studless tires. they are amazing
Good to know. Hard part is deciding whether I'd rather pay and get the tires swapped over each season OR if I'd rather buy steel winter wheels and just do the basic change over... really tough decision.

Blizzaks look good, but I had Michelin XICE 3 on our previous SUV and they did amazing so it is a tough toss between the 2 so far..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good to know. Hard part is deciding whether I'd rather pay and get the tires swapped over each season OR if I'd rather buy steel winter wheels and just do the basic change over... really tough decision.

Blizzaks look good, but I had Michelin XICE 3 on our previous SUV and they did amazing so it is a tough toss between the 2 so far..
so this is what i did - same wheels and rotated the tires through costco. if you go with dedicated wheel for the winter tires - you could just do it yourself. but again Costco charged $60 for swapping.... the math didnt work out.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
so this is what i did - same wheels and rotated the tires through costco. if you go with dedicated wheel for the winter tires - you could just do it yourself. but again Costco charged $60 for swapping.... the math didnt work out.
Nah… I would definitely rather have cheap winter rims and tires and just change them myself. So much more convenient imo. Plus I wouldn’t want the tires coming on and off my good rims so many times. Those guys don’t give a crap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah… I would definitely rather have cheap winter rims and tires and just change them myself. So much more convenient imo. Plus I wouldn’t want the tires coming on and off my good rims so many times. Those guys don’t give a crap.
This is what I'm thinking, too. I'd buy the MOPAR winter wheels anyway... keep scuffs from tire changers on the good ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.