Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I live in Atlantic Canada and on every other vehicle I've had winter tires on winter rims.

Couple of questions...

1) do you run winter tires (or even all seasons) on the stock rims? Do they scuff or get damaged at all during winter?

2) is it possible to get winter tires in 35s or 37s? I am considering getting the 2" Mopar Lift

3) if you dont run winter tires, do you have any troubles with A/T or M/T on ice typically?

Thanks in advance for the tips and responses guys!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am running 37 BFG KO2’s on Procomp 7069 17x9’s with the mopar 2” lift, I have a rubicon with factory steel bumper, I removed the side tips from the bumper because the tires will rub when at full lock and highly articulated. (See pictures)

I have run BFG KO2’s previously on my pick up in all manner of winter and found they did really good. They are m+s and have the three peak mountain snow flake rating.

I’ve tried other tires including Nokian Ridge Grapplers, some Dick Cepecks (can’t remember which ones exactly but they were not good in winter) and Hakepelitla LT2’s studded (these were stock size full winter tire on an F350 and they were worse than the 315R70-17 BFG’s I ended up running.)

I recommend the KO2’s - I run them year round and tend to time new tire purchase just before winter when needed.
Automotive parking light Sky Wheel Tire Cloud

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Cloud

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running 37 BFG KO2’s on Procomp 7069 17x9’s with the mopar 2” lift, I have a rubicon with factory steel bumper, I removed the side tips from the bumper because the tires will rub when at full lock and highly articulated. (See pictures)

I have run BFG KO2’s previously on my pick up in all manner of winter and found they did really good. They are m+s and have the three peak mountain snow flake rating.

I’ve tried other tires including Nokian Ridge Grapplers, some Dick Cepecks (can’t remember which ones exactly but they were not good in winter) and Hakepelitla LT2’s studded (these were stock size full winter tire on an F350 and they were worse than the 315R70-17 BFG’s I ended up running.)

I recommend the KO2’s - I run them year round and tend to time new tire purchase just before winter when needed. View attachment 2612
View attachment 2613
View attachment 2614
View attachment 2615
Thanks for the insight! I've been on the fence about getting the MOPAR 2" lift, noticeable height difference?

Any major MPG or electric range drop when you got the beefy tires?

May consider these. I'd run them on the 20" stock rims that came with the Sahara. Do you think I need winter rims, or will the stock black rims hold up fine through winter? I've heard mixed. Previously I've always ran winter rims.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think you will see more height increase when installing the mopar lift on a Sahara then I did on my rubi because it’s already a little higher.

I did see some e-range drop with the larger tires, but…I suspect that driving in winter is going to have a much bigger impact that will make all other efficiency question mute.

We had a few cold mornings here starting at -6c my drive to work usually leaves me with at least 50% battery.

These cold mornings I was rolling in to work with 20-30% battery remaining… I had pre-started the vehicle, it was admittedly toasty when I got in, it was plugged in and had 98% battery, so it was charged but must have started to use some power from the battery to run the heaters. Heated seats and steering wheel were blazing!

msi it was a nice comfortable drive but battery range was hit hard. Will be interesting to see how it goes with -30!

So far as the rims, if you can run them on stock rims I would and not be concerned about damaging the rims.

I only switched my rims because they were technically too narrow for the 37x12.5R17 tires.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’m running dedicated winter tires in 33“ on stock 20 wheels (Nokian Hakka 10 studded). Tires are a matter of compromise : MT tires are better than AT in certain circumstances, highway better than AT on the road, and winter are better than 3peak AT in very cold temps due to compound (3peak rating doesn’t mean much TBH)) AT will be good in deep snow and not so freezing temps, and be shittier on ice than winters. Studded winters have an edge on standard winters on ice and ice under pack snow, and are worse at braking on dry tarmac.
As you can see, every tire is a compromise. I think the most important for tires is braking distance and not getting in a ditch at normal and safe speeds. I don’t see any problem running winter tires for these reasons in Quebec instead of AT. My car and passengers are worth more than 1500$. If I was in Toronto, I would think twice about it, though. In Fort McMurray, I’d get studded tires too. So it depends on where you drive, and what are your lowest expectations (longer braking distance is a no for me, but it could be acceptable for someone else).

That being said, Nokian make 35 tires and maybe 36+ with their LT3 range.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m running dedicated winter tires in 33“ on stock 20 wheels (Nokian Hakka 10 studded). Tires are a matter of compromise : MT tires are better than AT in certain circumstances, highway better than AT on the road, and winter are better than 3peak AT in very cold temps due to compound (3peak rating doesn’t mean much TBH)) AT will be good in deep snow and not so freezing temps, and be shittier on ice than winters. Studded winters have an edge on standard winters on ice and ice under pack snow, and are worse at braking on dry tarmac.
As you can see, every tire is a compromise. I think the most important for tires is braking distance and not getting in a ditch at normal and safe speeds. I don’t see any problem running winter tires for these reasons in Quebec instead of AT. My car and passengers are worth more than 1500$. If I was in Toronto, I would think twice about it, though. In Fort McMurray, I’d get studded tires too. So it depends on where you drive, and what are your lowest expectations (longer braking distance is a no for me, but it could be acceptable for someone else).

That being said, Nokian make 35 tires and maybe 36+ with their LT3 range.
Thanks for the info! I live in Atlantic Canada, so safe to say our winters are a lot alike.

I don't personally like studded because of longer stopping time on dry roads...

Do you have the 2" Mopar Lift on yours or no?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you will see more height increase when installing the mopar lift on a Sahara then I did on my rubi because it’s already a little higher.

I did see some e-range drop with the larger tires, but…I suspect that driving in winter is going to have a much bigger impact that will make all other efficiency question mute.

We had a few cold mornings here starting at -6c my drive to work usually leaves me with at least 50% battery.

These cold mornings I was rolling in to work with 20-30% battery remaining… I had pre-started the vehicle, it was admittedly toasty when I got in, it was plugged in and had 98% battery, so it was charged but must have started to use some power from the battery to run the heaters. Heated seats and steering wheel were blazing!

msi it was a nice comfortable drive but battery range was hit hard. Will be interesting to see how it goes with -30!

So far as the rims, if you can run them on stock rims I would and not be concerned about damaging the rims.

I only switched my rims because they were technically too narrow for the 37x12.5R17 tires.
Thanks again for the response.

Do you think I'd feel it is skinny, or too much room in wheel well with the 2" lift and stock rims with 33" tires?

Side note, is there anything I should do to protect the stock rims in winter or are they usually fine with routine washing? I wash weekly anyway. This would be my first winter running stock rims in the winter and not cheap winters, but I LOVE the rims that came with the Sahara..

·
Registered
61 Posts
It may look a little odd but if you are trying to transition or just use that setup temporarily I wouldn’t consider it a show stopper.

I may not be paying enough attention to what winter does to my rims… generally the damage is from off roading with rock scrapes and such.

If you want dedicated winters and summers you could either buy another set of stock rims or look on Kijiji or some other second hand market place. You might find a set of stock jeep rims - I sold mine on Kijiji when I put my 37’s on.

I really liked the stock rims too and would have kept them if they were wide enough to fall within the manufacture’s rim width spec for the 37’s.

If keeping stock rims and plan to go for 37’s then you may want to consider adjusting the steering stops if you find it contacts the body at full lock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm from Canada as well, I read that the Ko2 All Terrains that come on the rubicon are one of the best winter tires on the market. That being said, I am upgrading to 35s GoodYear Duratrac Wranglers because they will look way cooler.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm from Canada as well, I read that the Ko2 All Terrains that come on the rubicon are one of the best winter tires on the market. That being said, I am upgrading to 35s GoodYear Duratrac Wranglers because they will look way cooler.
No A/T tire is comparable to a winter tire... hate to say it. Unless you stud your Wranglers, they won't do anything in icey conditions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think ulucto95 nailed it with the comment about all these tires being a compromise.

From there it’ll be up to you to decide what traits you want to have.

For me, the KO2’s have done well, especially when driving in thick snow like you might come across off road or when driving down roads that haven’t been packed by other traffic yet, the larger lugs help prevent the tires from packing up… and I do just run them year round, they make a pretty good tire off-road in summer too.

True winter tires are made of a different compound composition to keep them soft and pliable in and they have a lot of siping to help with traction. But this tends to make them not so good for off roading or, in my experience at least, very heavy unpacked snow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The winter tires I use now on my JkU are the Bridgestone Blizzak LT.
I have no complaints and the traction it's absolutely amazing.
Braking it's so much better than all terrain tires too.
I'm putting the same tires on my 22 4xe.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

1 - 12 of 12 Posts