Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Be careful, it's rated at 49 mpge , not mpg. Mpge is a measurement of efficiency for electrical use.

Rather than reading "49 mpge", what you should really read is "1.45 mpkWh". Mpge is a travesty of a unit.

The 4xe is a phev, so if you hop in and do a 300 mile trip without messing with drive modes, it'll basically do the first 20-25 miles in all electric, using 0 gas. After that is up, the gas engine will fire up, and you'll get 20ish mpg from that point forward.

If you ask me what mpg I get, the answer I'll give is about 22mpg, 37mpg, and about 70mpg.

When the gas engine is running, I get about 22mpg. If I go off what the dash says, it says about 37 mpg, because it tries (and does a poor job) of factoring in an equivalent mpg value for the electricity used. If I look simply at the gallons of gas put in and divide by the total miles driven, I get around 70 mpg.

Ultimately, all those values are basically worthless as they reflect more of what kind of drives I do rather than the actual efficiency of the vehicle.
The best way to determine actual mpg is to reset the trip odometer at each fill up. Then calculate gallons used per miles driven with ICE only. The trip odometer splits electric and gas power modes rather well.

· Registered
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe Sarge Green
17 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm finding no good reason to not consider a 4xe and frankly, that's all I am finding in the Wrangler Unlimited in reign. Of over 300 I've seen in searches, all but a dozen or so are 4xe.
It seems that's all dealers are ordering. Also can't find the body color 3 piece hard top. They've ordered 3/4 of them with the fancy power roof that adds over 4200 to the price, but that's another topic.
As long as the 4xe system isn't likely to leave my wife stranded anywhere, and as long as it starts and gets her there and back, I'm good with it (and won't mind the pep I've read about, either)
We have a Sahara 4Xe. My wife is 70 and 5' 4". She has no trouble getting in, and loves the Jeep.
Don't worry about getting stranded. It will run on the ICE without the electric. I would plug it in though. It comes with a 120V charging cable.
That's what I use and charge it every night.
Best, Dana B

· Registered
1 Posts
My wife liked riding in my son in laws regular unlimited and had to have one for the beach here in Corpus Christi. Well, one thing led to another and we couldn’t find one with the features she wanted either. So we special ordered. Between our kids, one talked us into the 4XE and the other into the Electric roof. It took over 3 months to come in but was well worth the wait.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Don’t purchase a 4xE they are having terrible terrible recall issues
No recalls for 2023 models. 4 for 2022 and those are not all related to the 4xe parts - CANbus and other communication issues happen with other Jeeps, such as the 2022 Gladiator. I see no recalls that are worrisome to me. The diesel Gladiator has had catastrophic fuel pump issues, so the JLU 4xe fuel pump recall isn't anything unique or new. Fuse issues have been fixed as of October 2022, light (marker lights) have been resolved - back in May 2022.
Otherwise, most complaints are related to death wobble (an issue most don't understand - related to modifications in most cases, or loose parts, wear, poorly torqued fasteners, etc.) or headlights which is a well-known thing with the front end design and recessed LED headlights. So likely many of the complaints are from first-time Jeep owners or at least first-time Wrangler owners.
PHEV is indeed an evolving technology with growing pains. Even Tesla has had their share of recalls and they've been in the EV business for years.

As a former mechanic and long-time owner of several other Jeeps, including 2 Gladiators, I don't see a lot that worries me. Time will tell if we've messed up or not. There are lemons with every make and model. Ask the 1,000,000 Mercedes owners who had their cars recalled because of the chance their sun roof could fly off when they got up to highway speed.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
they are having terrible terrible recall issues
Most of the recall "issues" are check engine lights coming on for a locked out coolant heater, but that just changed the check engine light behavior so it now alerts for the coolant heater. The problem was already there.

A very small amount of recall issues are roasted hv batteries due to techs not following simple instructions.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, again, thanks to all. I checked out the power roofs, got a ride in one that has that roof, took pictures and such and went back home to my wife who still didn't like the idea. I told her she was out, then, unless there was something she could live without. I spent all morning at the dealership...... got back home and she said "I need to go with you to see for myself. The sales guy had washed up a nice Rubicon 4xe that was a good fit but was lacking the advance safety group. We talked with my wife and she asked what it would be lacking without that and she decided that since only her last Grand Cherokee had that (likely her 2018 did as well, she just doesn't remember it) that she could live without those 3 things from that group.
Dang it, now I have Jeep envy - and it's my wife's Jeep!!

It goes in later for the Sahara type side steps (running boards similar to my Gladiator Overland)

Automotive lighting Purple Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Car

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Most of the recall "issues" are check engine lights coming on for a locked out coolant heater, but that just changed the check engine light behavior so it now alerts for the coolant heater. The problem was already there.

A very small amount of recall issues are roasted hv batteries due to techs not following simple instructions.
I haven't done a dig for TSBs yet on these but I see only 4 true NHTSA recalls for 2022 and none on their records for 2023.
I suppose, without looking, there may be a number of RTTs, RSUs, and of course, TSBs and so on related on how to fix things, (or how not to fix things LOL).
TSBs are simply communications to the shop "if you see this problem, here is how to fix it" - STAR team knows about it ........... and it may be a warranty repair. They list the parts needed, the processes needed and the time allowed by FCA if it's a warranty repair.

· Registered
250 Posts
Don’t purchase a 4xE they are having terrible terrible recall issues
That seems a little extreme. One part, the coolant heater, has had reliability issues. Have got to assume the vehicles coming off the line now have an improved reliability part because it costs Stelantis $$$ to keep warranty replacing them.

The other recalls are minor things like leaks that you'll find in any other new vehicles.

If you want to see what it's like to buy something that is a recall nightmare, go check out the bronco forums.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My wife is happy, excited, thrilled, all of those terms, with her new Jeep and she seems to be happy with the 4xe part thus far. But then, she married a former mechanic and Jeep fan so she's got built-in support LOL.
I just had no first-hand experience with the 4xe, and after her comments getting in and out of my Gladiators with her handicap (and our arthritis) I just wanted to get some other views - mine might have been skewed..... and a year or two ago I'd have said no way to PHEV. I guess my son has been a bad influence on me with his all electric Audi EV SUV

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Have got to assume the vehicles coming off the line now have an improved reliability part because it costs Stelantis $$$ to keep warranty replacing them.
I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. They have been struggling with electric coolant heater issues for 6-7 years and have had many different iterations to try to address it. What you can do, however, is recognize the issues if/when they start to pop up and be glad that part is covered under the 8 year warranty.

· Registered
250 Posts
My wife is happy, excited, thrilled, all of those terms, with her new Jeep and she seems to be happy with the 4xe part thus far. But then, she married a former mechanic and Jeep fan so she's got built-in support LOL.
I just had no first-hand experience with the 4xe, and after her comments getting in and out of my Gladiators with her handicap (and our arthritis) I just wanted to get some other views - mine might have been skewed..... and a year or two ago I'd have said no way to PHEV. I guess my son has been a bad influence on me with his all electric Audi EV SUV
I think the folks that struggle most with the 4xe are the ones (like me) that want to micromanage it to eek every bit of efficiency out of it. Those that don't know or care about it probably have a better experience if they just leave it in hybrid mode, charge it every day and just let it do it's thing (assuming the coolant heater isn't failed).

Your wife seems to fit into the "doesn't really care how it works" category so I bet she'll love it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Co
Well, again, thanks to all. I checked out the power roofs, got a ride in one that has that roof, took pictures and such and went back home to my wife who still didn't like the idea. I told her she was out, then, unless there was something she could live without. I spent all morning at the dealership...... got back home and she said "I need to go with you to see for myself. The sales guy had washed up a nice Rubicon 4xe that was a good fit but was lacking the advance safety group. We talked with my wife and she asked what it would be lacking without that and she decided that since only her last Grand Cherokee had that (likely her 2018 did as well, she just doesn't remember it) that she could live without those 3 things from that group.
Dang it, now I have Jeep envy - and it's my wife's Jeep!!

It goes in later for the Sahara type side steps (running boards similar to my Gladiator Overland)

View attachment 8921

View attachment 8922

View attachment 8923

View attachment 8924
Congratulations! You'll probably find a nice pair of Sahara running boards on a local marketplace for cheap. I got mine for $50 and they fit the Rubicon just fine.

· Registered
40 Posts
But then, she married a former mechanic and Jeep fan so she's got built-in support LOL.
It all boils down to how long you intend to keep a vehicle. It's all moot if you trade within the warranty period. What's not moot is your time dealing with a downed vehicle and residual return upon disposal. Enough money moots all issues except the value of your time. Being a mechanic, you ought to know what you're wading into. I keep a vehicle I like until it's either stolen or there's absolutely no cost advantage to keeping it. I've been fortunate enough to pick good vehicles with the exception of a used Chevy 350 pickup getting 6mpg. I kept it 6 weeks. Presently, the perceived favorability of a 4Xe is mixed. It's still in the early adopter stage. Time, residual value and manufacturer commitment to development will tell. Good luck.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. They have been struggling with electric coolant heater issues for 6-7 years and have had many different iterations to try to address it. What you can do, however, is recognize the issues if/when they start to pop up and be glad that part is covered under the 8 year warranty.
It's sort of funny in a way because years ago we installed many hundreds of "engine heaters", some of which went into the hoses in line with the heater core. They had check valves and actually "pumped" coolant through as it heated. Rare that any of them ever failed. And yet today they can't make a heater that is reliable? I have stainless steel electric tank heaters in my plating tanks that have worked for years.
What was failing? Seems it should be a simple device.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It all boils down to how long you intend to keep a vehicle. It's all moot if you trade within the warranty period. What's not moot is your time dealing with a downed vehicle and residual return upon disposal. Enough money moots all issues except the value of your time. Being a mechanic, you ought to know what you're wading into. I keep a vehicle I like until it's either stolen or there's absolutely no cost advantage to keeping it. I've been fortunate enough to pick good vehicles with the exception of a used Chevy 350 pickup getting 6mpg. I kept it 6 weeks. Presently, the perceived favorability of a 4Xe is mixed. It's still in the early adopter stage. Time, residual value and manufacturer commitment to development will tell. Good luck.
That's over-thinking it, IMO. When my wife is ready to trade, she trades. It's been running 2.5 to 3.5 years, closer to 3 much of the time. I don't sit with a spreadsheet to figure how much is has cost so far and future values or costs. And of course all of that varies anyway. I traded my 2020 Gladiator for my 2022 and got a decent price in trade. The market was up on used vehicles. I wanted a couple of options not available in the 2020 model year, so traded.
Jeeps also keep their value. I got full NADA "trade" for her Grand Cherokee on this - they hardly flinched when I told them xxx and no lower. Almost top of the chart. This one being purple and getting all but one of the things we had listed in this one, I can see it being around for a while. Besides, many of the parts taken off my Gladiator would fit this one.
I retired nearly 6 years ago and currently work on my own classics, my Gladiator, and do restorations of parts for other people for show cars. So I pretty much pick and choose what I want to work on, or don't.

I think the folks that struggle most with the 4xe are the ones (like me) that want to micromanage it to eek every bit of efficiency out of it. Those that don't know or care about it probably have a better experience if they just leave it in hybrid mode, charge it every day and just let it do it's thing (assuming the coolant heater isn't failed).

Your wife seems to fit into the "doesn't really care how it works" category so I bet she'll love it.
My wife will ask me "is it supposed to do this" or "what do I need to do".
I'll be stuck with my OCD and try to make it do every bit that it should (or that I think it should)

· Registered
250 Posts
I have heard some speculation that it's some sort of corrosion going on with the contacts, but I don't know if that's actually the case.
I'm really curious what's going on with them as well. Hopefully someone will get their hands on a failed unit and they can tear it down to see what's going on. Should just be a PTC element that coolant flows through so it's shocking they are struggling so much to make a design that doesn't fail after a year.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts