Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a rumor floating around the forums about a recall on the Wrangler 4XE. It stems from an unfortunate typo and an oddly similar name for an electrified propulsion system made by a company called Meritor. Their integrated electrified propulsion system is called the 14XE. A typo by an industry publication left off the 1 so it just says “4XE” at the top of the article.

Side note, the hybrid transmission in the Wrangler 4XE is ZF (or Zed F for to our Canadian friends).

Here is a video about the Meritor 14XE power train.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm kinda disappointed by this. With the issue related to some units stopping suddenly while driving - including on the highway, I was hoping they figured out the issue before someone got seriously hurt. I know it is likely a small % but if you are one of the impacted people that doesn't matter much. I am still waiting BTW so these are just my thoughts as an observer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Related to the sudden stopping issues I had this happen to me with 1700 miles on my 4xe Rubicon. The service hybrid electrical system light came on and every time I slowed down to about 4mph, everything would lock up and literally screetch to a halt. I came across the forum while sitting at the dealership and found posts about the unseated fuses. Had them check and they found a bunch were unseated, but the problem persisted. They had it overnight trying to figure it out and then solved the problem. Bent pin in the door wiring harness. They swapped out the harness and no problems since. I never would have imagined the door wiring harness could cause the hybrid drive system go crazy but that appears to be the case. If you've taken your doors off and are having these problems, check for bent pins!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Related to the sudden stopping issues I had this happen to me with 1700 miles on my 4xe Rubicon. The service hybrid electrical system light came on and every time I slowed down to about 4mph, everything would lock up and literally screetch to a halt. I came across the forum while sitting at the dealership and found posts about the unseated fuses. Had them check and they found a bunch were unseated, but the problem persisted. They had it overnight trying to figure it out and then solved the problem. Bent pin in the door wiring harness. They swapped out the harness and no problems since. I never would have imagined the door wiring harness could cause the hybrid drive system go crazy but that appears to be the case. If you've taken your doors off and are having these problems, check for bent pins!
Interesting! How did they figure it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently all the JLs are plauged with bent pins in the door wiring harness. They checked it on a whim, found the bent pins, replaced the harness, problem went away. I'm sure I took the doors off my JK a hundred times and never had an issue. Its a shame jeep hasn't upgraded these especially when they can cause such a severe issue with the 4xe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That sounds like maybe the shorted pins triggered the auto transmission park engagement that happens at low speed when opening the door and trans is in gear. Seems like a separate issue than charging system error others are getting. Something to look out for when taking doors off and putting back on!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the turtle icon happened to me as well. Re-seated the fuses and kept going. Then it has happened to me again at night, every time my auto-high beams came on. I almost start laughing instead getting troubled. I was on my way to the airport and just said to myself - of course! So I have disable high beams and kept going.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts