Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So following up with my dealer/service, again he (service manager) reiterated that the USB2 does NOT accept media or initiate CARPLAY. It is for charging only.

I am figuring he is correct dealing with Wranglers (and all Jeeps for that matter) all day. However, seeing people say theirs work and @JeepCares saying it should is getting me quite frustrated over a small issue.

Does anybody have a definitive answer on this?

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
44 Posts
It should definitely work, and the fact that you can connect it and it works 90% seems like it should completely. He might be thinking about the USB port on the other side of the console in the rear passenger area. That is only for charging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It should definitely work, and the fact that you can connect it and it works 90% seems like it should completely. He might be thinking about the USB port on the other side of the console in the rear passenger area. That is only for charging.
Unfortunately, I am the guy whose USB2 never worked and was disconnected within the console. So for me I am seeing others who have had it working thinking to myself.. "wtf".

·
Registered
313 Posts
So following up with my dealer/service, again he (service manager) reiterated that the USB2 does NOT accept media or initiate CARPLAY. It is for charging only.

I am figuring he is correct dealing with Wranglers (and all Jeeps for that matter) all day. However, seeing people say theirs work and @JeepCares saying it should is getting me quite frustrated over a small issue.

Does anybody have a definitive answer on this?
My 2018 JLUR was working great but my 2021 4xe's USB2 is not working. it is like a lottery....
Had an update applied, testing it out. So far no luck on it. Seems slightly better. But only tested it on 2 trips.

Due to a specification from Apple, a modification was made for the JL/JT vehicle lines to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. This change was made at software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels. Some 2020 owners may be able to use Apple CarPlay from the center console port (2), while others may not. However, we'd like to look into this for you so we can set additional eyes on your situation.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Reactions: Stealth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Due to a specification from Apple, a modification was made for the JL/JT vehicle lines to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. This change was made at software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels. Some 2020 owners may be able to use Apple CarPlay from the center console port (2), while others may not. However, we'd like to look into this for you so we can set additional eyes on your situation.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
I have an ongoing conversation on another forum with @JeepCares (Courtney). It is appearing the USB2 issue is more wide spread. I am also thinking, like my issue, it
is not solely Carplay but the usability of media (usb sticks with music) also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also having the same issue with my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe. It is very frustrating as I love the truck but carplay disconnects constantly regardless of console port, dash usb c/usb A ports. I have bought a brand new usb A and usb C charge from Apple and it has not fixed the problem. Neither has resetting the jeep media system or my iphone. This needs to be addressed by jeep asap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my Jeep in May and have continued to have these issues. The backup lines eventually fixed themselves. However my USB 2 port did not and I notice that my radio blinks when I accelerate and stop when I am on carplay. I would love some help. This is so frustrating to pay that much for a Jeep and then it not work properly. Also not to mention a dealership just replaced my radio and gouged my dash :mad:.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently bought a Carlinkit to use wireless Carplay. I put the box in the console, and it does occasionally disconnect. I can open the console and jiggle the USB connector slightly and it immediately reconnected. It seems to me the USB port in the jeep is slightly oversize and allows a loose USB connection.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have an ongoing conversation on another forum with @JeepCares (Courtney). It is appearing the USB2 issue is more wide spread. I am also thinking, like my issue, it
is not solely Carplay but the usability of media (usb sticks with music) also.
Hello-- Courtney here! As @mla575 stated, our teams heard your concerns and have been actively monitoring your conversations surrounding the functionality of your center console USB port (2). We appreciate all of your patience as we aim to collect more information surrounding these concerns so that we can provide you with the best resolution. If anyone has additional documentation or details about their situation that they'd like to provide, please do not hesitate to send us a private message!

I purchased my Jeep in May and have continued to have these issues. The backup lines eventually fixed themselves. However my USB 2 port did not and I notice that my radio blinks when I accelerate and stop when I am on carplay. I would love some help. This is so frustrating to pay that much for a Jeep and then it not work properly. Also not to mention a dealership just replaced my radio and gouged my dash :mad:.
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far. I'd be more than happy to look into this for you so we can turn it into a more positive experience for you! Please send us a private message with your VIN and a photo of your Uconnect system information. If you need help finding your system information-
  • Simultaneously press and hold hard buttons:
    • Driver Up Temp - Driver Down Temp - Front Defrost
  • For radios without hard buttons-- On your Uconnect touchscreen, simultaneously press and hold the lower left and lower right icons.

Thanks everyone,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my Rubicon since early June and the center console has worked perfectly for CarPlay on an IPhone X running IOS 14 software. Two days ago I upgraded to an IPhone 13 Pro running IOS 15 and 2 minutes later the center console CarPlay started disconnecting and freezing up the CarPlay display. I have deleted the Jeep from my CarPlay on the phone and reloaded it and I have done full factory reset on my phone. Nothing stops CarPlay from disconnecting. Clueless on how to fix it. Don’t know if it’s Apple or Jeep’s incompatibility with iOS 15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
44 Posts
I’ve only been trying with an iPhone 12 Pro and now an iPhone 13. Same issue not sure if I was on ios14 when I did. But it’s been the same issue with both. I have mine at ios15 and fully up to date.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
44 Posts
I picked up my 4xe Rubicon on Friday and it has this issue. I switched to the USB-C input instead and have not had any problems.
the usb c input is on the front by the usb1 input. I am pretty sure they are linked together. Where as the center console has a separate line run to it, and would go to another header input on the radio unit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
July HA 4xe, and have the same center console problem with CarPlay. iOS 15, up to date, and of course no problem with the front "media" USB ports (although the wire are far worse concealed that way).

Thinking about getting a wireless carplay adapter, plugged in the USB-C port in the center console, because I fear it may malfunction with the USB-A port

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi @JeepCares, I saw your comment explaining the situation about the center console USB Port.

" Due to a specification from Apple, a modification was made for the JL/JT vehicle lines to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. This change was made at software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels. Some 2020 owners may be able to use Apple CarPlay from the center console port (2), while others may not. However, we'd like to look into this for you so we can set additional eyes on your situation."

Does Jeep have a solution to solve this issue or would this be for Apple to solve. Clearly this isn't a port issue, nor a cable issue. This seems to be a software CarPlay issue and since the iOS device is what controls the terminal head deck, which means there is no software locally on the head deck, I would guess it's the iOS software itself that needs to fixed.. or is it the Uconnect software that needs updating to allow the iOS to function properly? If I can get some clarity I can log a bug on Apple's developer side to address a potential issue.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
21 Posts
Just to add to this thread, my USB2 drops connection intermittently and then starts working again when I unplug and re-plug the USB cable. It's an official Apple cable, so that can't be the issue. Has had problems with my Iphone 12 Pro, my wife's Iphone SE, and her new Iphone 13 pro.

Dealer can't consistently replicate the issue so won't do anything.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts